Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tips for English Teachers using Video clips

10 Speaking English Activities using TED.com

 
Nowadays, more and more English teachers work with a video clip in the classroom to deliver more efficient class to the students. From my memory of English speaking classes, I also watched some video clips in my class and discussed the topic in the video, however, I never thought that classes working with video helped me improve my English speaking. It was just a kind of boring time for me.
I picked up this posting, because it describes the details about effective usage of video clips with which English teachers may obtain good results in their classroom. Her suggestion starts from preparation for the class.
The author advises teachers sit down and prepare carefully, because it is not “just glorified babysitting”. (I really agree with her this comment of ‘babysitting’.)
The author suggests 10 ways of activities teachers can do with the video clip in their classroom:
1.      Prediction:  what's the video going to be about?
2.      Vocabulary Collection
3.      Debate
4.      Post-speech interview
5a.Critique Presentation Style
5.      Compare body-language
6.      Wh-: who/what/where/when/why/how  
7.      Critical Thinking  - Who's the target audience?
8.      Will this idea fly?
9.      In his/her shoes...
10.    Rank my TED video!
11.    What else?   

I think these tips are very helpful to teachers on the site. Even these tips are focused on the TED site, it could be applicable in general English classes. Each steps are very organized: it starts with the step of before watching the video (Step 1-2), after watching the video (Step 3-5), specific quesitons about the contents of the video (Step 6-9). As such, the author's posting is beautifully organized and analyzed.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great post that you found, but you don't have an active link specifically to this post. I've put the correct link on the discussion board for you to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Articles of the web page are usually excellent in addition to appreciative.

    Translator Canada & English to French Translation Canada

    ReplyDelete